Where are the Republicans?
Now that Kerry has conceeded defeat to Bush I wonder how many Republicans I will meet in these next four years. I mention this because in the last four years I met exactly 1 Republican. This has struck me as odd because even though I live in Osaka I did expect to bump into Americans who in some fashion reflect the two major parties. But that didn't happen. It could be that Republicans tend not to travel, or they don't drink, or prefer Tokyo, or were too timid to admit that they support Bush. I suspect the last one, of course I don't know for sure, but they certainly weren't shy when Clinton was president.
I hope I meet a Rupublican in Osaka someday. I mean, if they are going to have a say about events around the world, then they should stand up and identify themselves. This apparent cowardice in voting and then hiding is one of the many troubling trends to emerge since Bush came to power.
1 Comments:
The Republicans in Japan are on miltary bases and in expat on "The Package." There's no figures on this year's vote but in all the elections before, 80% of the votes cast from Japan were Republican. In previous years the Republicans-in-Japan Asso. had a stated policy of pushing voter registration and help because that would benefit them.
And yes, this year ALL Republicans overseas have been keeping a low profile lest they be spat upon.
Taro, in political exile
http://tinyurl.com/2mcof
http://tinyurl.com/2rzrt
Post a Comment
<< Home